Join Conservation Through Public Health as an intern, volunteer, or researcher to gain insight into Uganda’s gorillas and the conservation efforts that keep their population thriving – from $500/person per week

  • You choose the length of your program
  • Wide variety of projects to choose from – tell us your specialty!
  • Accommodation and meals included

Hear from North Carolina State University Students

Past volunteers, interns, and researchers have participated in the following CTPH programs:

We work with the Uganda Wildlife Authority (UWA) wardens and rangers to collect fecal samples from gorilla night nests and train them to look out for clinical signs in the gorillas.

We train Community Animal Health Workers (CAHWS) who provide basic veterinary services to the community’s livestock. We also support the community with rabies vaccinations, spays and neuters of their pet dogs and cats.

Here we work with Village Health and Conservation Teams (VHCTs) community volunteers who visit homes in their villages and promote hygiene and sanitation, family planning, infectious disease prevention and control including referring suspect TB, HIV, Scabies and diarrhea patients, nutrition and sustainable agriculture, as well as, conservation of the gorillas and their habitat. This includes reporting homes that are regularly visited by gorillas to help reduce human and wildlife conflict.

We have a youth program – the Impenetrable Kids League, a partnership with The Kids League where we currently work with eight schools in two sub counties around Bwindi; the winning team has to win the game and score highest on the quiz about conservation and public health.


Typical length of stay is one month, but can range from one week to two months or even longer. The budget is $500 per volunteer, researcher or intern per week covering accommodation in a self contained tent or self contained room in a Guest House, meals and staff time. If you bring your own tent, it is $350 for the week. This does not include a gorilla permit, which costs $700 and goes to the Uganda Wildlife Authority, or transport, which varies according to the means of transport from Entebbe to Bwindi, and the type of work in Bwindi.  Foreign Residents pay $600 for a gorilla permit and 250,000 UGX for East Africans.

CTPH can help you to book a gorilla permit. Please fill the form and return it to us with your CV at your most convenient time. Click here to download our “Study With A Cause” brochure.


*It is a requirement for all student volunteers and interns to have a research proposal related to our activities.

*Please note that anyone intending to conduct research in Uganda’s Wildlife Protected Areas or on wildlife in general must fill in application forms, attach a detailed proposal and CV and submit them in duplicate to Uganda Wildlife Authority. Please see details here. Researchers are also required to seek approval from Uganda National Council for Science and Technology before conducting research in Uganda. Please find research guidelines and application forms here.


Application & forms

Download the CTPH application form and manual here

Find research guidelines and application forms here

Download the UNCST research permit application forms here or apply online here

Researchers can also find useful information here

Download the CTPH ecotourism brochure here